Sunday 15 September 2019

Blog Post #1 - In the Beginning

Welcome to Amano Christian School
So I thought that since I have now been here in Zambia for 2 weeks I ought to give you an update. So the first week I mostly spent getting to know the people who live around the school site and the other volunteers who I live and work with. On Thursday we had a big staff outing to a boat club and had a bible study, which was really good because it meant I could meet all those who I hadn’t met already before being thrown into teaching with them. I also went along to some school meetings which meant I could prepare myself for teaching on the Monday.


'The flat'
I live in a little bungalow with two other girls who are really lovely. Michelle and Julia. They are both German which has proved to be far less stressful than I anticipated. Their English is amazing and I only have to correct them occasionally which is good because that would get annoying for all of us. There are two other German volunteers called Melanie and Pia and they live in the girl’s dorm with Diana who is also a volunteer but she is Zambian. She is teaching us Bemba (the most used Zambian language). Alex, who is also Zambian, is the only male volunteer this year and he is living in the boy’s dorm. It has been really great getting to know these guys better especially on our Tuesday evening meal which we have all together at the flat (my house).
From left to right: Me, Diana, Alex, Julia, Pia, Michelle and Melanie at our Tuesday night meal together
School started on Monday the 8th of September. I was really glad I’d had the week before to get use to the area a little bit more otherwise I probably would have gotten lost. I had 3 hours of swimming teaching on the Monday which was a lot and very overwhelming but good because it meant that the rest of the week felt much easier.


Not a great picture of the primary school 😂
So right now I teach Swimming mostly and help out with other classes in the primary school which is grade one to seven. I also am now a music teacher with my flat mate Michelle for grades six and seven which I think is hilarious!😂 I haven’t properly started teaching music yet, last week we went along and met the children briefly but this week we have had to plan a lesson so we shall see how that goes! 😬 I also help out with other lessons mainly PE and library lessons. 


I have been to two different churches since being here in Zambia and neither of them have been like Ebe at all. All the songs we sing are generally quite old (or what I consider old at least) and they either had no accompaniment or very little accompaniment. I have one more church to go and see which will be next week which is where Stu and Wendy go with the kids.

The thing I found most interesting about this week.
  • ·         They never leave food on their plate! If they leave anything they are sent back to the table to finish. When collecting food it just means that everyone is very particular about how much they are given. You can ask for more and you can ask them to take some off but you do not waste food! I like this practice, it means there is so little wasted food!

Points of Thankfulness
The awesome Moon
  • ·         I am very thankful for all the lovely messages I have received from people back home
  • ·         I am thankful for having an amazing group of people out here with me that are in the same position I am and have such a heart for Jesus!
  • ·         I am thankful for having a family so close to me that I know I can go to for a hug if I really need one.
  • ·         I am thankful for really great food here
  • ·         I am thankful for the moon! It looks awesome here


Prayer Points
  • ·         Please pray that I stay well. It is getting very hot here now and I need to remember to drink lots and wear lots of sun cream.
  • ·         Please pray that I will continue to get closer with the other volunteers here as I spend most of my time with them
  • ·         Please also pray that I will get used to living with ants! They often cover our sink which is horrible!
WHY?!
Thank you for all your support. I’ll try to keep you posted on the latest.


Beth
15/09/2019

No comments:

Post a Comment